Demystifying The Probate Process
It is certainly true that probate can be time-consuming and expensive. It is also true that many estates can be probated quickly and with minimal expense. You do not have to be intimidated by the probate process. An experienced lawyer can help you make sense of the process and handle any problems that may come up.
At the Law Office of Sharon C. Stodghill, we are committed to helping clients navigate the probate process as smoothly and efficiently as possible. Our Houston probate attorneys have more than 25 years of combined experience helping people with probate and estate administration needs in Texas. When you come to us, we will listen closely to your needs and concerns, help you make wise decisions, and clearly explain what is going on at every stage of your case.
Handling Probate From Beginning to End
In Texas, there are different types of probate with different requirements, but each type generally starts out the same. The process begins with filing the initial application and getting a personal representative appointed. After that, a variety of things occur, including:
- Filing the will with the court, where it is proved valid or invalid
- If there is no will, the court will determine the identity of the heirs
- Accounting for all the assets of the estate and reporting the results to the court
- Creditors are given notice of the death and are given the opportunity to make claims against the estate
- Debts and expenses of the estate will be paid
- Remaining assets are distributed according to the will or according to Texas law, if there is no will
- If there is a dispute about the validity of a will or a disagreement about how assets should be distributed, probate litigation may occur
At all stages of the process, we will be ready to answer all of your questions and help you make prudent decisions. At any time, unexpected events may arise to complicate matters. That is one reason why the assistance of our trusted and experienced lawyers can be invaluable.
Contact a Houston Probate Administration Attorney for a Free Consultation
We are ready to help you at every stage of the probate process. To schedule a free initial consultation with an experienced probate lawyer, please call 713-464-6412 or contact our Houston law firm online.